Tuesday 28 February 2012

What is Quinoa?



It occurred to me that a lot of people may not be familiar with Quinoa after I posted my salad with Quinoa. This is known as the superfood, a protien that contains 9 amino acids. Also an important point to know is that it is gluten free. When it is cooked it is creamy, a little crunchy and has an almost nutty flavour. They range in colour, including black and red.

It is usually considered a grain but it is a relative of the leafy green vegetables, such as chard and spinach. I would really suggest if you are interested in the health benefits you should take a look online. A site I would suggest for this is www.whfoods.com

Personally I like Quinoa in soups, salads or cooked as it is. You can buy Quinoa at the Bulk Barn, Goodness Me or most health food stores. I have included a picture of cooked Quinoa and prior to cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated.